Have some mason jars laying around that you want to spruce up? Here’s a quick and easy guide on how to spray paint them the right way!
Checkout this video:
Mason jars are a great way to add a personal touch to your home décor, and they can be used for a variety of purposes. You can use them as drinking glasses, vases, or even storage containers. Painting them is a great way to give them a unique look that will match your personal style.
However, before you start spraying paint on your jars, there are a few things you need to do in order to ensure that the end result is satisfactory. In this guide, we will show you how to spray paint mason jars the right way.
What You Will Need
In order to spray paint Mason jars, you will need the following supplies:
-Spray paint designed for glass
-Newspaper or drop cloth
Follow these steps to spray paint Mason jars:
1. Cover your work surface with newspaper or a drop cloth.
2. Lay out the Mason jars on the surface.
3. Apply painter’s tape to any areas of the jars that you do not want to paint.
4. Lightly sand the entire surface of the jar with fine-grit sandpaper.
5. Wipe away any sanding dust with a damp paper towel.
6. Shake the can of spray paint for at least one minute before painting.
7. Apply light, even coats of spray paint to the jars, allowing each coat to dry completely before applying the next.
8. Once you are satisfied with the coverage, remove the painter’s tape and allow the jars to dry overnight before using them
Preparing the Jars
The key to a successful spray paint job is all in the preparation. Make sure to clean your jars thoroughly with soapy water and a scrub brush. If you’re painting over a design, you’ll also want to sand away any glossy finishes. Next, use painters’ tape to cover any areas you don’t want painted. This includes the rim of the jar, as well as the threads on the inside (if your lid has them). Once your jars are prepped and taped, it’s time to start painting!
Painting the Jars
Spray painting is a quick and easy way to give Mason jars a whole new look. But before you start, it’s important to understand the basics of how to spray paint Mason jars the right way. Here are a few tips:
– Start by cleaning the jars thoroughly with soap and water. This will help the paint adhere better.
– Next, lightly sand the surface of the jar to create a rough surface for the paint to grip onto. Be sure to wipe away any dust after sanding.
– Once the jar is prepared, it’s time to start painting! Use light, even strokes and be sure to hold the can about 6-8 inches away from the surface of the jar.
– Allow the first coat of paint to dry completely before adding a second coat. And that’s it! Now you have a beautiful, customized Mason jar that’s perfect for home décor or gifts.
After the Mason jars have been cleaned and prepped, it’s time to add the finishing touches. This includes adding any embellishments you want and then spraying them with a clear sealer.
Embellishments could include painting the lids of the Mason jars or wrapping them in pretty ribbon. You could also add vinyl decals or stickers to the jars. Get creative!
Once you’re happy with your embellishments, it’s time to spray paint the Mason jars with a clear sealer. This will help protect your paint job and keep it looking its best.
Tips and Tricks
Spray painting mason jars is a great way to add a pop of color to your home décor. But there are a few things you need to know before you get started. Here are some tips and tricks to help you get the best results.
1. Choose the right paint. There are special paint products made specifically for glass, so be sure to use one of these. You can find them at most hardware stores or online.
2. Prepare your surface. Before you start painting, make sure your jars are clean and dry. If they’re not, the paint won’t adhere properly and you’ll end up with a messy project.
3. Use painters tape. This will help you create clean lines and prevent paint from getting where it doesn’t belong.
4. Use light coats of paint. It’s better to apply several light coats of paint than one heavy coat. This will help prevent drips and streaks.
5. Let the paint dry completely between coats. Depending on the type of paint you use, this could take anywhere from 30 minutes to 24 hours. Be patient!
6. Add a topcoat for extra protection . Once your final coat of paint is dry, you can add a clear topcoat to help protect your jars from chips and scratches
-Can I use any kind of paint?
-What kind of paint do you recommend?
-How do I prepare the jars for painting?
-Do I need to use a primer?
-How many coats of paint should I use?
-How do I seal the jars after painting?
Alternatives to Spray Painting
If you’re looking for an alternative to spray painting your mason jars, consider using a product like FrogTape. FrogTape is a special type of tape that is designed to create clean, sharp lines when used with paint. It’s the perfect way to get precise results without having to worry about overspray or blurring.
In conclusion, it is very important to follow the proper steps when painting mason jars. By taking the time to sand and prime the jars, you will ensure that your paint job will last for many years to come.
After you have read this guide on how to spray paint mason jars the right way, you may want to explore other methods of painting them. You can find a variety of other guides online that will show you different ways to paint mason jars. You may also want to explore other ways to decorate them, such as by using stencils or decoupage.